Blessed by Our Baby Girl

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Find Me

Follow on Bloglovin Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Search & Win

Thursday, May 6, 2010

What's Up, Balloon Girl?


As I said in my previous post, the fundus of my uterus - the top part - is covered in adhesions (scar tissue) that cover over 25% of my uterine cavity.  When an embryo implants, it most often implants in the top, posterior (backside) of the uterus.  Because this area is scar tissue that has no blood flow, an embryo would basically "bounce" off the scar tissue and either (1) not find a good place to hang out for the next nine months, (2) find a place to implant and miscarry, or as I asked Dr. Super (3) implant somewhere, grow into what appears as a viable pregnancy and become a late m/c due to lack of blood flow or, worse, (4) implant, grow, and need to be an early delivery ending in fetal demise due to IUGR.

So . . . the scar tissue needs to go.  Dr. Super thinks it is possible for a fibroid to have regrown behind the scar tissue, but it can't be seen until the adhesions are gone.  I'm in the process of setting up everything for my exciting surgery.  Sounds like it will need to be a laparascopic hysteroscopy in which they'll remove the scar tissue and any potential fibroid behind it.  I talked with Nurse Amazing yesterday, and Dr. Terrific is on board for knifing me again doing my surgery.  School is out for both DH and I on June 4th, so I'm hoping to plan it for that next week.

What will the surgery "look" like?  Well, it sounds like the adhesions need to be "shaved down" during the surgery.  It's possible that two surgeons will need to work together to make that happen.  I'm going to discuss that with Dr. T.  I want this to be the LAST surgery I need.  I think four in three years is plenty.  Anyway. . .

After the surgery is complete, Dr. Super is recommending that I am placed  on a strong regiment of E2 in order to help the lining quickly heal and replenish itself.  Estrogen is the hormone that rebuilds your uterine lining.  The most exciting part (note: SARCASM) is that Dr. S also recommends that a balloon be placed in my uterus and inflated to keep my uterus expanded.  When raw tissue (such as the inside of my surgeried ute) touches, it adheres to itself to increase blood flow.  That's what creates the adhesions, which is why Dr. S thinks my adhesions came from one of my previous surgeries (either D&C or EHLC-Rita).  The balloon will remain inflated in my uterus for at least 3-4 days post op, and will create quite a bit of cramping.  The balloon will apparently have a tube that hangs out of me (ew ew ew!) and will be taped to my leg until I go in to have it removed.  I found a few pics online, but you can search those on your own.  I'm surely not posting them here! 
How much I have to look forward to, huh???  The things I/we have done to simply have a baby.

Hopefully my AMH results will be in soon.  Pray for normal!  So - what else do you want to know?  Just comment with your questions & I'll try to answer them.  I'm exhausted, finished rambling (for now), freaked out a bit after talking about the balloon & going to bed.  I hope I don't have balloon dreams now.

9 comments:

Joy said...

Ugh. One of the girls on my preemie board just had a surgery and had to have the balloon and catheter for a few days. she not-so-lovingly called it her penis.

I do hope this is the answer for you guys, in spite of the ick factor.

The Quarke Family said...

I am so impressed with you, and with your new doctor. This is quite good and exciting news, though, right? I really hope the balloon thing passes in a flash and that it won't be too bad. Lots of respect for you lady. Wishing you luck and thinking of you, as always.

xxx K

NoVaIrish said...

I've always loved balloons but this one doesn't quite make me feel all excited like a shiny thinking of you balloon would. Hopefully this is the first step down a brand new path in your journey - the path that ends with a baby in your arms!

Kacey said...

I had the balloon too with my 2nd to last surgery on my uterus! There kept being a little remnence of my septate so I used the balloon too! I'm here for you if you wanna talk about it!

Maria (MKC101103) said...

I've certainly been around the IF block a few times, but this is a first. I've heard of the balloon, but never that it's left in for your to walk around with and go about your normal day. Thanks for teaching me something new today :D

And total LOL at NoVa's "I've always loved balloons..."

Mrs KS said...

You are the most amazing woman I've never met. I am rooting for you so hard.

Wifezzilla said...

Well. This is a lot of new information for me to have caught up on! Pretty great of Dr. T to find out what the reason is and now have a plan of action to correct it. Good luck!

A said...

Although I hate that you are facing another surgery, the balloon idea makes alot of sense (as yuck as it is!). I'll be praying for you as you prepare for it (HUG)!!!

Me said...

Honestly, that sounds absolutely awful - I hope it works!

Get Swagbucks!

I use Swagbucks.com for all of my internet searches & redeem those bucks for Amazon gift cards. Great way to get things I want (babies not included) for nothing! :) Search & Win

Community

Help Out Each Day with Just One Click!

The Animal Rescue Site The Breast Cancer Site The Literacy Site
The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Rainforest Site

Get Ready for Blogaversary Cake!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!

How Many Have Heard These Ramblings?

How Many Have Heard These Ramblings?